加载中...
推荐位 推荐位

罗伯茨:“人们唯有遭遇不公时,才知道公正的价值”

发布时间:2017.07.18 北京市查看:2871 评论:27

美国首席大法官:我希望你遭受背叛
原创作者: 翻译 | 何帆
该文章转自: 法影斑斓、奶牛Denny

罗伯茨,2005年9月由小布什总统提名,参议院批准通过,就任美国联邦最高法院的第17任首席大法官,是美国两个世纪以来最年轻的首席大法官。“人们唯有遭遇不公时,才知道公正的价值”。

《*****》评论说:罗伯茨首席大法官本年度最好的作品,不是某个案子的判决书,而是在儿子毕业典礼上的致辞。约翰·罗伯茨领养了一儿一女,在儿子的初中毕业典礼上致辞,同时赠送每个毕业生由大法官签名的宪法,令人回味!

正文(中英文翻译):

"毕业典礼的致辞者通常会祝你们好运并送上祝福。我不打算这样做,原因如下。”

Now the commencement speakers will typically also wish you good luck and extend good wishes to you. I will not do that, and I’ll tell you why.

我希望你们在未来岁月中,不时遭遇不公对待,这样才会理解公正的价值所在。”

From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly, so that you will come to know the value of justice.

我希望你遭受背叛,唯有如此,你才领悟到忠诚之重要。”

I hope that you will suffer betrayal because that will teach you the importance of loyalty.

抱歉,我还希望你们时常会有孤独感,这样才不会将良朋挚友视为理所当然。"

Sorry to say, but I hope you will be lonely from time to time so that you don’t take friends for granted.

愿你们偶尔运气不佳,这样才会意识到机遇在人生中的地位,进而理解你们的成功并非命中注定,别人的失败也不是天经地义。"

I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.

当你们偶尔遭遇失败时,愿你们受到对手幸灾乐祸的嘲弄,这才会让你们理解体育精神的重要性。”

And when you lose, as you will from time to time, I hope every now and then, your opponent will gloat over your failure. It is a way for you to understand the importance of sportsmanship.

愿你们偶尔被人忽视,这样才能学会倾听;感受到切肤之痛,才能对别人有同情的理解。”

I hope you’ll be ignored so you know the importance of listening to others,

and I hope you will have just enough pain to learn compassion.

无论我怎么想,这些迟早会来临。而你们能否从中获益,取决于能否参透人生苦难传递的信息。”

Whether I wish these things or not, they’re going to happen.And whether you benefit from them or not will depend upon your ability to see the message in your misfortunes.

分享

收藏(1)

点赞(1)

举报

评论列表

• 第1楼
    领果子

2017/07/18 11:04 [来自天津市]

0 举报
  • 第2楼
    挺好,领果子

2017/07/18 11:11 [来自北京市]